Leaders, are you supporting new social studies teachers? This can help!
The Social Studies Foundations series is a great way for leaders and instructional coaches to gain valuable insight into the intricacies of the Social Studies classroom and its unique blend of content and process. For classroom teachers – especially NEW teachers, the learning videos provide tangible, easy-to-implement strategies and ideas for enriching the classroom environment and process-based instruction.
What does content literacy mean and what does it look like in the classroom?
Content literacy is a blending of Social Studies content standards and process standards. STAAR 2.0 requires a new level of content literacy, and we need to prepare students for that level of thinking now. Since the process standards are tightly vertically aligned from 4th grade-EOC, it is important this foundation is solid. The Social Studies Foundations ePLC addresses the fundamentals of social studies content literacy.
The Social Studies Foundations ePLC provides a virtual learning and a support system throughout the year with:
- 8 pre-recorded learning videos
- learning video for STAAR 2.0 – helping students show what they know with short constructed response
- Getting Started
- Setting up the Social Studies Classroom
- Embedding Vocabulary and Teaching Terms
- Using and Evaluating Visual Sources
- Making Sense of Primary Sources
- Understanding Context and Point of View
- Sequencing, Categorizing, Identifying Cause-and-Effect Relationships
- Drawing Inferences and Conclusions
For content questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org