What is the New Leader Academy?
High-quality instructional leadership is essential to the success of schools. The principal is in a position to ensure that high-quality teaching and learning are at the core of the campus culture. As instructional champions, a new leader’s primary role is to build the capacity of teachers and to ensure that every student has access to high-quality instruction. At the same time, new leaders must manage the day-to-day operations of the campus, while looking beyond the school year. Coaching, along with valuable support systems throughout the year, is critical to building a strong base for success in the early years of the principalship.
In the year-long membership, campus leaders from around the state will learn to simplify common leadership challenges, clarify their vision of an effective school, establish core values, and develop the foundational skills for effective school leadership. The members of the New Leader Academy will be invited to live webinars, and they will have ongoing support throughout the year.
- Current hot topics in education
- Identifying and using personal leadership strengths
- Exploring high-yield lead4ward data tools and instructional strategies at the application level for principals
- Sharing ways to foster a sustainable culture of improvement, collaboration, and inclusivity for all
- Developing a strong leadership team through the Leading Learning Series
2022-23 Webinar Calendar
- june 21 - setting the vibe for the year (recorded)
- sept 13 - professional learning communities (live)
- oct 18 - school RtI systems (live)
- dec 6 - reflecting and reframing for second semester (live)
- jan 17 - the principal and accountability: practical next steps (live)
- march 7 - focus and feedback (live)
- april 4 - planning ahead (live)
audience: principals and assistant principals new to profession and/or lead4ward
learning mode: virtual; plus in-person kick-off event
year-long support includes:
- 7 webinars
- new leader guide
- tools and resources
- access to learning video library
- bonus session: in-person kick-off
The New Leader Academy service year is June 1, 2022 - May 31, 2023.